Sunday, March 8, 2009

Clean, Green, and Cheap

I am obsessive about cleanliness, particularly in the bathroom and kitchen. I thought I was doing the right thing by zapping all the germs and bugs so that I wouldn't catch any nasty viruses. I didn't realize that I was causing more harm than good and that the toxic fumes were infinitely worse.

I discovered it is possible to have a gleaming place with eco-friendly household products, and, with more time on hands, I could easily make my own cleaning products. End result--a healthier house and a healthier pocketbook.

I use primarily full-strength white vinegar which is an excellent cleaning option that kills many germs, bacteria, and molds.

Here are a few easy ideas for cleaning around the house with vinegar:
  • Use vinegar mixed 50/50 with water to mop vinyl and ceramic flooring. Do not use on hardwood.
  • Wipe down the inside walls and shelves of your refrigerator with a mixture of vinegar and water. Use full-strength vinegar if you are trying to remove stubborn food odors.
  • Leave a cupful of vinegar in the toilet bowl overnight. In the morning, scrub with a toilet brush.
  • Use vinegar for degreasing stovetops, ovens, pots, and pans.
  • To clean the microwave oven, heat half a cup of white vinegar in a bowl on high for three minutes. Let the vinegar sit undisturbed for about fifteen minutes, then remove the container and wipe down the inside of the microwave with a sponge and clear water.
  • After cooking fish or burning something on the stove, wipe down the countertops with full-strength vinegar to neutralize the smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment