Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Comfort Foods--Italian Style


As a budding frugalista, I take great delight in any dish that is inexpensive, uncomplicated, and easy to prepare. Growing up in an Italian home, I loved all the pasta dishes. I especially liked those that provided comfort and warmth during the cold, snowy days of winter.

This past winter has been an extremely cold one, and I find myself gravitating towards the following two pasta dishes:

PASTA E PATATE
(Pasta and Potatoes)

Ingredients

4 medium potatoes
2 cups of pasta (ditali)
4-6 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt

Procedure
  • Dice the potatoes.
  • Boil water in a medium-sized saucepan and add potatoes.
  • Cook for one minute.
  • Add pasta and cook for 15 minutes or until pasta is done.
  • Drain some of the water.
  • Add sauce, butter, and salt.
  • Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.

==================================================================

PASTA E FAGIOLI
(Pasta and Beans)

Ingredients

1 can (19 oz) romano beans
2 cups pasta (ditali, orecchiette or shell pasta)
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp oil oil

Procedure
  • Boil water and add pasta.
  • Cook past for 7-8 minutes or until al dente.
  • Drain any excess water leaving about 1" above the cooked noodles.
  • Drain beans and add to the saucepan.
  • Add oil, tomato sauce, and salt.
  • Cook for an additional 7 minutes.
Makes 4 servings

2 comments:

  1. Joanne, I worked my way through all the editing and adding business and I am now an official follower!

    Potato recipe above sounds great. There's an Italian restaurant near here where the grandmother (born in Italy) makes pasta out of potatoes and serves it with chicken and a creamy, garlic, white sauce.

    I am looking forward to following your blog. This is all fairly new to me, so I hope you are patient.

    There are quite a few potential frugalistas around here and I will pass around the website address.

    Cheers, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eileen,

    Welcome to my blog. I appreciate all your comments and welcome all of your frugalista friends.

    Ciao,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete