Friday, January 30, 2009

Thrifty Tips--Taking Baby Steps


As I continue on my frugalista journey, I realize that taking baby steps and easing into new green habits is becoming addictive. Change does not have to be uncomfortable and unsettling. The following suggestions are very easy to implement on a daily basis:

Flip the switch. Each time, I leave a room I turn off all the lamps and lights. In the past, I enjoyed being welcomed to my condo by a well-lit entrance, but those few seconds of illumination are not worth the wasted energy.

Toss it in the Purse. Whenever I pick up a lipstick, jewelery or any other small item, I decline the glossy, logo-bedecked bag that is often offered. Most of these bags are a mixture of paper bags and plastic laminate; neither one is especially good for the environment. If I do receive one of these glossy bags, I reuse it as a gift bag.

Go Cold. I have always done my laundry in cold water. It is more efficient since 90% of the energy consumed by washers is used for heating the water. And, I have found that my clothes do not fade as fast.

Shut the Water Off. I was shocked to learn that the average faucet runs through three gallons of water per minute. If I leave it on for the dentist-recommended two minutes, twice per day, that's 12 gallons a day--4,380 gallons per year--going literally down the drain. So, now I shut the water off while I'm brushing my teeth. I am also trying to keep the faucet off as much as possible at other times, i.e. washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom.

1 comment: