Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Living More Consciously

In her book, The Virtuous Consumer, Leslie Garrett provides practical and doable suggestions for those of us who are struggling to make choices that are better for the planet. I enjoyed reading the book and don't feel that I need to chain myself to a tree, make my own soap, or go on a permanent shopping fast.

I like the idea of asking myself the following questions before I make a purchase:
  • What materials went into making this product?
  • How was the product manufactured?
  • How far did it travel to get to me?
  • How long will I use this product--once or over a few months or years?
  • Is it recyclable, reusable, or biodegradable?
  • How will it be disposed?

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thanks for the comments re. The Virtuous Consumer. I'm delighted you enjoyed the book and happy that you're implementing the most key points -- that a few simple questions can mean the difference between making a purchase that's easy on the planet (and ultimately your wallet) and one that's not.

    ReplyDelete