Monday, February 8, 2010

On The Sunny Side

It is easy to be negative at this time of year. The mornings are dark, weather is unpredictable, tax season is upon us...The excuses are endless and it so easy to stop exercising and slip back into bad habits.

In their book, So Stressed, authors Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton suggest countering the following negative thoughts with more positive messages:

I'm too exhausted even to think of moving.
I always have more energy after I exercise.

I'm just so slow.
When I started, I was out of breath very quickly. I may not be a speed demon, but I have really built up my endurance.

My whole body hurts from that last workout.
If I stretch well or take a hot bath, my muscles will be warmed up, and I'll be feeling no pain once I start moving.

I had to skip three days because I had a virus. It's impossible for me to stay with it. Something always gets in the way.
Each day is a new day, and I can pick up where I left off.

It's miserable out, so I think I 'll just sleep in this morning.
It's raining too hard for me to enjoy my walk. I think I'll try that new yoga DVD.

This was the most stressful day at work in a long time. I think I'll make myself a drink.
I haven't been this stressed out in a long time. I bet a good workout will help me burn off this tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment