Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sharing Recipes--Pancakes

As a budding frugalista, I try to avoid packaged and processed foods. I must admit it is easier to simply add water to a mix that promises and often delivers extra-fluffy pancakes.

I still have fond memories of my mother's homemade pancakes; so, I decided to resurrect the recipe and try my hand at making them from scratch. In keeping with my new health regimen, I also add two tablespoons of organic ground flaxseed.

Since the recipe produces 12 pancakes, I freeze most of them and reheat them later in the toaster at the lowest setting. They thaw and reheat easily this way; plus, the toaster method helps them keep their shape. Microwaving does not work as well: they become soggy, limp, and not particularly appetizing.

Ingredients

1 egg
2 cups milk
3 tbsp white sugar
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp softened margarine
1/4 tsp vanilla

Procedure
  • Preheat oven to 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Preheat electric griddle.
  • Beat egg very well.
  • Add milk and sugar and continue beating.
  • Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
  • Combine both mixtures.
  • Stir in margarine and vanilla.
  • Pour pancake batter onto the hot griddle. Pools of batter should be 2 inches away from each other.
  • Cook until golden brown brown on each side.
  • Place finished pancakes on a heat-proof plate in the oven.
  • Repeat with the remaining batter.
Makes 12 pancakes

1 comment:

  1. Joanne, I am on a diet -- you've got to stop putting in these delicious recipes!

    Cheers, Eileen

    ReplyDelete