Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cut Clutter

Just because we cannot see the clutter on our computers does not mean it's not there. A computer is really a desktop and filing system in one. And, it is essential to create a filing system that works and have regular purges of the files that are no longer needed.

I find the following tips very helpful:
  • Creating separate folders for accounts, articles, query letters, and letters makes it very easy to find information.
  • I like getting creative with file names. I steer away from using dates or numbers to identify them. Sometimes, I will include the date as part of the file name.
  • I back up my files regularly and delete any files that I am not currently using. This helps to free up space on my computer and helps it run faster.
  • At least once a week, I empty the recycle bin.
  • I use the Internet daily, and, as a result, a number of temporary files are stored. These "cookies" can be deleted by opening Temporary Internet Files in the Windows folder. Mac users can access the Cache folder in Preferences.
  • Digital photographs can be saved on CDs so they don't take up valuable computer space. A single disk can hold hundreds of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment