Monday, November 9, 2009

Boosting the Immune System

I have decided not to get the H1N1 vaccine. Instead, I am focusing on keeping my immune system strong. If the system is working properly, it will protect the body from attack by microorganisms, abnormal cells, and chemicals.

I strongly believe that the right diet is critical to a strong immune system. I am making a special effort to include the following foods in my daily diet.
  • Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids help in immune function. These can be found in cold-water fish and flaxseed. Each morning, I have 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed in my smoothie, and I try to have salmon 1-2 times a week.
  • Vitamin E can also assist in the production of antibodies. It can be found in oils, nuts, and avocados.
  • Vitamin C assists in the building and maintaining of mucous membranes and collagen. I am not overly fond of oranges. Instead, I have 2 kiwis a day and have roasted red peppers 2-3 times a week.
  • Probiotics are friendly bacteria which can help improve immune responses against viruses. I have 1/2 to 1 cup of yogurt daily.
  • Iron is needed to produce hemoglobin which transports oxygen throughout the body. I try to have at least one serving of red meat each week. I also enjoy eating eggs and dried fruits which are excellent sources of iron.
  • Proteins are central to the proper functioning of the immune system. Each morning, I have one scoop of whey protein which contains 23 grams of protein--a great start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment