Monday, November 16, 2009

More Brainpower On A Budget

Each weekday afternoon, I look forward to watching Dr. Oz on television, and I also enjoy reading his weekly column in The Toronto Star. I appreciate all his advice, especially that which pertains to improving brain function. As the daughter of parents with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, I am always on the lookout for new ways to increase my brainpower.

I found the following suggestions very easy to implement:
  • If we get 55 micrograms of selenium daily, it is possible for the brain to perform as well as someone who is 10 years younger. One egg has 14 mcg and a slice of whole-grain bread has 10 mcg.
  • Three or four servings of dark, leafy greens like spinach and kale can slow mental decline by as much as 40%.
  • Compounds in blueberries can protect the brain against inflammation which is linked to Alzheimer's disease.
  • Turmeric, which is found in yellow mustard, will also guard against inflammation. All that is needed is 17 mg of turmeric a day, about a teaspoon of mustard.
  • Salmon, trout, and walnuts contain omega-3s which help keep the brain young.

No comments:

Post a Comment